Saturday 15 October 2011

Brave new world

I woke up and walked a couple blocks in search of a hot breakfast sans cheese. After about 20mins I gave in and tried what I thought would be a healthy option which was a Greek panini. Apparently in Greece they have melted cheddar and feta on their sandwiches.

I met heidi for lunch and after trying a few dim sum places which were closed we ended up going to a place called you's. The servings were ridiculous portions again and we probably could have just split a main. We then went for a cleansing ale at Buddha bar.

Heidi had to go back to the conference and i went down for a walk along the piers. It was a really awesome day and really nice to be out near the water. I had a couple of beers then walked back to catch up with Heidi. I took a cable car up California st and hung off the side. Not sure how the ticketing system works but I didn't pay before I had to get off.

Met heidi at a wine bar on polka still called the pour house. I wanted to cain a flight there but heidi didn't have time. Had a couple of glasses of a french and Californian bubbley.

Heidi left for her poster session and i went to an Irish bar to find out if they would be showing the rugby this weekend. Apparently all the bars shut at 2am and the rugby is at 1am which sucks so will probably watch it in the room. At the Irish bar I met this Scottish bloke who had 7 kids who was on a work trip.

We left the bar and went to this area called soma which stands for south of market street. We found this Thai place called basil which was awesome. Had some sake, entrees, some really spicy chicken and asparagus stirfry and a red duck curry. The Scottish bloke was feeling generous with his per diem so he shouted dinner. I put up a small protest.

After dinner we went to a bar called bulldog or something and had a few drinks. Some people there asked us how we knew to come to Soma and I said any place named after a drug from an Aldous Huxley book has to be awesome.

I ended up walking home and Heidi was in bed after a hefty night of drinking with the other scientists.

1 comment: