Sunday 29 July 2012

Back and crack

We left Mallorca by ferry at around 10am from Palma. Palma actually looked like a pretty cool city. I wish we had had more time there, but then again I wish we had more time on Mallorca full stop.  This ferry had massive recliner chairs for the "Neptune" class seats and were really comfortable. We were immediately filled with a terrible rage that we didn't have these seats to sleep in on the overnight ferry from Barcelona.

Anyways 9hrs later we rocked in to Valencia puerto and didn't even have any problems from the local policia. Post hotel check in we went out for a few drinks. Valencia was completely going off but we wanted to have a big night on Saturday so we had an early 9pm dinner. The place had wild boar on the menu so I immediately wanted that. PS. We saw "curry de pollo" on every other menu and figured we better try some as some kind of cultural experience. Well word to the wise, its awful. Also another dish to avoid, I forget the Spanish translation, but it was basically salted cod with peppers served cold. The rest of the tapas was awesome though.

Day 2 in Valencia started off with a coffee and boccidillo then a walk to the Ciudad de las Artes y Ciencias to get our culture on. The buildings are really amazing to look at and I'm pretty sure most of the people there had no intention of going in. We purchased 2 tickets to the science center because the aquarium was unfortunately shut. After a few exhibits I was looking at some mirror and lights thing which I had to bend down to see and a nerve in my back immediately told me I shouldn't be doing that. I couldn't even tell Heidi properly what was going on because the pain was so much fun, but she soon guessed.

Me ruining the view at the arts and sciences city before the bad times.

I tried sitting down but that made it even worse. I cained the last of Heidi's handbag neurofen due to a hangover in Mallorca a few days earlier so we exited the museum and had to set out in the heat in search of pain killers. Getting a taxi was not an option because the  pain was almost nauseating and constant when I sat down but standing up it only hurt every time I took a breath.

After trying 4 or 5 different farmacias and them all being shut, we realised they take their siesta time very seriously and just walked back to the hotel where there were drugs awaiting in the luggage. I cained some and had a lie down while Heidi went and got the reception girls to call a doctor. They informed us that a house call is very expensive (80 euros) and we said call them anyway. About an hour later 2 guys rocked up in polo shirts and not speaking any Inglais except for the word "pain". Anyways one of them pushed my legs around and tapped my feet until it was established that I didn't have spinal damage.

About the time they were prepairing two lots of drugs and one of the guys was flicking a needle to get the air bubbles out my wife asks, "Ryan are you cool with this?". I currently had half my arse out of my pants and the other dude was swabbing it with alchohol, I wasn't really cool with it but was so over the pain I just replied yes its fine as I didn't want Heidi worrying more than she already was. Later Heidi found the bottles that they put in the bin and aparently it was just some Voltarin and another anti inflametory. They also gave us a perscription for more Voltarin. Thanks very much doctors Sarah and Chris for their long range diagnosis and information and everyone's favourite pharmacist Toni for advice on what drugs are safe to take.

By dinner time I could get up and walk around so we headed out and had some Valencian paella. Apparently Valencian paella comes with rabbit, chicken, snails and white beans. It was really gamey and quite different from the standard seafood paella.

Best paella ever

My back was much better the next day and we went out for some breakfast churros as you do. Some old dudes were already caining some cervesas a few tables away so it made me feel less bad about having chocolate and fried dough in the morning. There were some markets on so we went there, grabbed a bottle of cava, a whole packet of jamon and some pan and headed to the park for a picnic. After we jumped on a metro and headed to the Neptuno station which was the closest to the beach. I had a swim while Heidi had a litre of sangria at a nearby bar.

They take their jamons very seriously in spain. I may start making my own mouldy hanging meat when back home.
Renaissance era castles and sponge bob square pants sand scupltures.

Dinner was at Banyan bar and we had some sea bass and a steak washed down with a bottle of cava. Medium-rare in spain is pretty much rare, compared to France which seems to be about medium.

The next day we checked out went down to the carpark and tried to start the car. It took a good 10 minutes before it started. The starter motor was going but the engine wouldn't fire. Not sure what this could be. I figured since Dacia was made or owned by Renault it would be at least decent, but knowing what I know now if someone handed me the keys to a brand now Dacia for free I would slap them in the face and throw the keys on the ground. Driving in and out of this garage was really fun because it had a car lift even though there was only about 5cm on either of the side mirrors to fit the car in. My pro tip for car lifts is if you get stuck in one, turn off the engine to avoid death.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention that our hotel was 4 star for A$80 a night and that 2 boxes of pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs was 4 Euros. Message to Spain - charge more and the economy might improve.

    ReplyDelete